Read the following statements and reflect on whether they are True or False:
- I carry an underlying sense of not being good enough.
- I have a strong need for independence in relationships.
- I can be very dependent in relationships.
- It’s hard for me to say how I really feel in relationships.
- I struggle to trust in relationships.
- I fear that people will abandon me.
- I seem to be attracted to chaotic relationships.
- I have been abused in relationships; physically or emotionally.
- I often seek partners who are wounded and try to save them.
- Substance abuse has been a theme in my relationships.
A “Yes” to any of the above are possible indicators that you engage in problematic relationship patters. Consider the following:
• Are there possible reasons you are susceptible to repeating these patterns?
• Did you witness similar patterns from your parents, primary caregivers?
Note in your journal what is relevant to you.