A happy and healthy marriage is one of the most rewarding experiences people can have. We are born into this world seeking to attach and bond with others so it makes sense that a quality connection can be such a powerful experience. But – anyone who’s married knows it takes work to sustain a marriage!
Here are 5 quick marriage tips to help you have the most satisfying union possible:
- Check In: There is no question we are all busy with kids, careers, social obligations and more. It’s way too easy to lose touch with your partner. Make the time to get an emotional read on the other. “How are you doing? How are you feeling today? How are we doing? Anything we need to talk about?”
- Hug: Did you know that if you hug your partner for at least twenty seconds (full body hug) you both have the potential to release oxytocin, the bonding hormone? Take advantage this chemistry boost by hugging, hugging, hugging!
- ShowInterest: Your partner will feel cared for by you if you show interest in what interests him/her. This isn’t to say you need to pick up a hobby that isn’t of interest to you but you can still ask them about it occasionally in the spirit of them feeling cared for.
- Romance: Date night. Enough said.
- Play: I think there’s something to be said for the saying, “Couples that play together, stay together.” Not only does play relieve stress but playful interactions can bring you closer together! Be silly, give each other love taps, use crazy pet names or anything that brings laughter. I get such a kick out of the couples I work with who clearly have this down. I always reinforce this in them – and let them know that humor can help ease them out of conflict as well.